Allen-Schiffern Post 199


Veterans: Two VA programs provide certain elderly Veterans with an additional monetary amount if you are eligible for or receiving a VA Pension benefit.Aid and Attendance (A&A) is an increased monthly pension amount paid if you meet one of the conditions below:

*You require help performing daily functions, which may include bathing, eating or dressing.

  • You are bedridden.

  • You are a patient in a nursing home.

  • Your eyesight is limited to a corrected

    5/200 visual acuity or less in both eyes; or concentric contraction of the visual field to 5 degrees or less.

  • Housebound is an increased monthly pension amount paid if you are substantially confined to your immediate premises because of a permanent disability.

  • The Aid & Attendance Housebound benefits*The Aid & Attendance (A&A) increased monthly pension amount may be added to your monthly pension amount if you meet one of the following conditions:

  • You require the aid of another person in order to perform personal functions required in everyday living, such as bathing, feeding, dressing, attending to the wants of nature, adjusting prosthetic devices, or protecting yourself from the hazards of your daily environment

  • You are bedridden, in that your disability or disabilities requires that you remain in bed apart from any prescribed course of convalescence or treatment

  • You are a patient in a nursing home due to mental or physical incapacity

  • Your eyesight is limited to a corrected



Veterans Benefits & Information




3. USING VA STANDARD FORMS VA is streamlining how Veterans and Survivors apply for benefits. FILE COMPENSATION CLAIMS ONLINE WITH eBENEFITS = VA encourages Veterans to file their disability compensation claims online through the eBenefits portal. As of March 24,2015, Survivors and Veterans who are not filing online must use standard forms to identify the benefit they are seeking. IF NOT FILING ELECTRONICALLY, USE VA'S STANDARD APPLICATION FORMS: 21-526EZ for veterans compensation, available electronically on eBENEFITS. 21-527EZ for veterans compensation. 21-534EZ for survivors DIC, Death pension and/or accrued benefits. OPTIONAL INTENT TO FILE PROCESS: For Veterans and Survivors who need additional time to gather their claim information, but want to save the earliest possible effective date, VA is using a new "intent to file" process. A Veteran or Survivor, or his or her authorized representative, can submit minimal information to establish a potential effective date for benefits, and then take up to one year to gather evidence and submit the required standard form. INTENT TO FILE OPTIONS: With a VSO, electronically (for veteran's compensation only), by phone/ in person, by paper VA Form 21-0966 FOR MORE INFORMAITON, VISIT or call 1-800-827-1000.

! !! ! !! ! !IMPORTANT !!!!!!! The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) now requires the use of standard claim and appeal forms to make it as fast and easy as possible for Veterans and survivors to file applications for benefits and receive timely and accurate decisions on their claims. This change brings VA processes in line with other government agency processes, such as those of the Social Security Administration and the Internal Revenue Service, which also require submissions on standard forms before they can pay benefits or issue refunds. There are two claim actions that now require standard forms - applications for Veterans and survivors' disability compensation or pension, and notices of disagreement to initiate appeals of compensation claim decisions. Veterans or survivors who filed their claim prior to March 24, 2015, do not need to refile using a standard form. The easiest and fastest way for Veterans to submit an application for compensation is online through the eBenefits ( portal. Veterans and survivors are also encouraged to seek the assistance of a Veterans Service Organization in filing their claim through the Stakeholder Enterprise Portal. Veterans who are unable to submit their compensation application electronically can mail them to their Claims Intake Center. Completed forms for pension and survivors' benefits should be mailed to the nearest regional office. A new intent tofile process has also been established for applicants who need additional time to gather all of the information and evidence needed to support their claim. Applicants may notify VA of their intent to file a claim in order to establish the earliest possible effective date for benefits if they are determined eligible. For more information on which forms to use, or how to notify VA of your intent to file a claim, visit



Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved.